Powered By Blogger
Islamik Testimonial


Thursday, January 31, 2008

Being A Leader

A lame topic to discuss is it? Yeah, it is quite boring to discuss but I'm not referring to a leader in general but more specifically with what I've gone through for a week...becoming a leader for PBL presentation. It is never an easy job. Although it looks simple, it is still for me, a difficult task to carry out. You need to conduct the brainstorming, leading the others in gathering the issues and put forward some hypotheses, divide the topics among your friends so that everyone has their own part to talk about and lead in discussion as well as presentation plus summarised everything. I hate summary because I know at that time people become less attentive. As long as they have presented it, they don't bother much about other thing. Sometimes, it happened to me too, when someone becoming a leader and I become the presenter. Well, you know it well when you becoming a leader. For this PBL, we faced the most difficult one. Yet, I really satisfied with effort showed by my colleague eventhough only little information given by text book and we need to spend some time looking for extra information either from the internet or from other books.

A few days before, a few of them asked me whether I would divide the topic and when am I going to do it. For couple of days, different person came to me and kept asking the same questions. Till one day I reached my limit and burst it to one of the discussion group members eventhough he haven't start the conversation yet. Actually, I never liked the idea dividing the topics and assigned everyone the topics before the presentation day. I know some would only prepare for their part and ignore the other parts. It's not the way of learning. This is supposed to be a practice to guide us to diagnose the clinical condition. It's not about theory only. It is the skill for us to master. This is the time when you think and feel like a real doctor. But anyway, I still divide those topics just for the sake of them. Depends too much on divided topics is not healthy.

Becoming a leader does not mean you have the power to do anything. Even for the small discussion like this, I would refer to them whether they feel comfortable with the topics I have been put in the list. This is a real job as the leader. I love to be a leader for this PBL discussion. I have learnt a lot. I also astonished with myself for the ability to summarise in very few minutes. How fast can it be? In a way, I can sharpened my vocabulary and presentation. Thanks to my colleagues who chose me to become a leader. Sorry for being a bit strict but I believe I do it in a correct way.

No comments: